Lancers leash Bulldogs in opening home game

Aiden Spencer and Holden Taylor

The Lancers ran away with a smashing win against the Bulldogs last Friday with a final score of 63 to 8.  Scoring 42 points in the first half and 21 points in the second half, Manchester made their first win of the season one to remember. 

The Manchester offense was clicking on all cylinders, led by sophomore quarterback Cody Shelton, and the stingy defense stuck to George Wythe’s stars from start to finish. The crowd was roaring as they watched their Lancers dominate George Wythe in every facet of the game. The Bulldog secondary was no match for the Lancer passing game, as it was an air raid from the beginning. Manchester dominated the trenches as well, manhandling the opposing linemen and making plenty of running room for running back Ramon Brown.

While many spectators in the stands were energized by the Lancers’ display, the fans in the student section were even more excited about this game.  “I thought the game was a good representation of the student body and we had the most people at the game in a long time,”  said Senior Ryan Wolstenholme. “Also, our student section was awesome and the lancers kicked it at the game.”

It was the first home game for the Lancers after a difficult and disappointing season last year, in which they were forced to forfeit the championship game against the rival Highland Spring Springers. 

The Lancers will be on the road against the Powhatan Indians tonight. They look to keep this energy and momentum rolling into their next game and get a winning streak started. The game will start at 7:00pm at Powhatan’s stadium for anyone who wants to watch Manchester secure another win for their 1-1 season.