What’s changing our taste in books?

A return box for library books outside of the MHS Library.

Dakota Perreault, Junior Staff

Student reading habits are changing. According to a recent poll released to Manchester students, our favorite books are diversifying. Students who answered the poll each named different books, from non-fiction to fiction. Some answers were Wonder, Good Omens, and The Sun is a Star. All these books express different types of readers in the school, and reflect changing tastes in Young Adult literature. Absent, however, were the once common answers such as Harry Potter and The Hunger Games. What could be driving this change in the tastes of young readers?

Mrs. Evans, a librarian, spoke to me about books and why they might be changing. “Not only are novels starting to reflect diverse characters and social issues,” she says, “they encourage young adults to use their voice with activism publications.” Today’s books inspire people to get up and do something about things you want to change. If we compare current literature to books like the Harry Potter series, there are more realistic and relatable scenarios to take in. Chances are if you look at a book published recently, it will offer a lot more in the way of diverse characters from complex backgrounds while shining a spotlight on major issues in today’s world, such as police-involved violence as seen in The Hate U Give, or transgender rights as seen in Felix Ever After

Relatability seems to be what’s hooking teenagers on the books they like. Freshman Cody explains what makes a book a ‘favorite’. “I can relate to the characters and they have very good development.” For most readers, connectable characters are a must, and as teenagers are learning and developing quickly, characters with growth seem to be the most relatable at this stage as they help the story connect with readers and their lives. Characters from older books might be less relatable, making a story dry and dull for today’s Young Adult reader.

Since the characters in contemporary books such as the ones mentioned in our poll are doing a better job of representing people, it’s easier for anyone to connect to a book. It’s important to remember that one’s favorite books are a matter of taste and personal connection, and that those experiences differ from person to person. While social issues and relatability might be on the minds of some students when they choose a book, others just read what they like. “Students always have their favorite authors because they’re funny or interesting,” says Mrs. Evans