Students return to in-person instruction for a second time

Students returned to in-person instruction March 9th as part of a hybrid model of education across Chesterfield County schools that includes simultaneous online instruction. After the CCPS School Board voted on February 9 to send middle and high school students back to in-person learning, teachers and students have been preparing to once again transition back to in-person learning, while elementary students have continued learning face to face since February 2nd. 

Unlike the first time students were sent back in November, there is now face to face instruction five days a week, with one single population and no split cohorts. Also, students are required to wear face shields in addition to a mask whenever it is impossible to maintain a distance of six feet. 

With the binding choice to return to school or to remain virtual for the rest of the school year being given with a deadline of Feb. 17, the community has been grappling with this divisive decision. While some have taken to the internet to voice their apprehension to return, others are pleased with the decision.

“I feel great about it,” says Junior Raiden Loper. “The rules are a little stifling, but I think it’s great for safety.”

“I am excited,” says English teacher Mrs. Lynch, “I believe being in the same room with the students makes me a better teacher”