High school students to return to in-person learning November 9

Alexander Wilson

Cohort No.4 students, which includes all high school students, are able to return to school on November 9. CCPS will be utilizing a hybrid schooling plan, allowing students to come back to school two days out of the week. 

The school board received guidance from a committee of health experts on October 27  to follow through with starting hybrid school and in-person learning. It is unknown whether students will attend school via this model all year or if the measure is temporary. 

Masks and social distancing will be mandatory when returning to school. Students will not be allowed to enter the school or board a bus if they do not have a mask unless there are extraordinary circumstances. Faculty and students are also required to take a personal health survey every day before entering the school to help ensure they are not sick. Students can choose to stay all virtual and continue attending classes online if they do not feel comfortable coming back. 

Transportation plans will require adjustment when coming back to school. “Students may ride the bus to school this year. However, we encourage families who are able to assist us with transportation during this time.” said Superintendent Dr. Merv Daugherty. “If a family is able to transport their child to and from school, it would be appreciated and would help support reducing bus ridership numbers and meeting social distancing guidelines.” 

Students across Chesterfield have varying opinions about school reopening. Junior Raiden Loper said “I think Hybrid School is a good idea because I have trouble keeping up with my assignments. Remembering classrooms may be a challenge, but other than that I think it’ll be great.”

Information regarding school safety and Covid-19 can be found at mychesterfieldschools.com/coronavirus-information/.