Teens plan to celebrate Halloween differently

Jordan Barrett

This Halloween will be looking a little different from previous years for some students. Students such as Devyn States, Ashlynn Torrence, and Madelyn Taylor all feel differently about how they should spend their Halloween during the Covid-19 pandemic.

Sophomore Ashlynn Torrence says she will be spending her night at a costume party. This year her plans will not be much different than previous years. Where she was supposed to be trick or treating, she will now be a space cowgirl at a party with some friends. 

“I am looking forward to seeing all of the different costumes and eating Kit-Kats that I get from the party,” Ashlynn says.

On the other hand, Devyn States will be participating in something a little smaller. Devyn is a freshman who likes Halloween because of the candy and the season that it is in.

Although she will no longer be able to hang out with her friends she states, “I would rather spend Halloween with my family than possibly getting sick.”  Her new plans include going to dinner with her mom. Without all of the Reese’s and full-size candy bars, she will still make the most out of this situation.

Freshman Madelyn Taylor has taken it into her own hands to, as she says, “protect the health of her friends and family.” Madelyn has liked every year of Halloween except for this one. 

“This year, things will be different because we won’t get the social aspect that we usually get,” she says. Normally Madelyn would socialize with her friends and look for people wearing her favorite Shrek costume, but this year she will be at home watching Harry Potter by herself. 

Each of these students says that they will still be making the most out of their night even in moderation. Apps like Facetime and Snapchat will also be keeping students in touch even if they can’t see each other in person.

Covid has affected each student differently. Some students are staying home, while others are hanging out with friends. How has Covid affected your Halloween plans?