Manchester High School's Student News Site

MHS Scroll

MHS Scroll

MHS Scroll

Polls

What's your favorite part about Christmas

• Time off school (67%, 2 Votes)
  • Spending time with family (33%, 1 Votes)
  • The food (0%, 0 Votes)
  • The weather (0%, 0 Votes)

Total Voters: 3

Loading ... Loading ...

Stephen King’s Pet Sematary Has a New Adaptation

Stephen Kings Pet Sematary Has a New Adaptation
Alamy Stock Photo

On April 21st, 1989, a new horror movie entered the growing genre of slashers and frights alike. Pet Sematary, a novel written by Stephen King, was adapted into a thrilling movie. Now, we have a spinoff, Pet Sematary: Bloodlines, which acts as a prequel to the original movie.

The movie goes through the experience of an old man named Jud, and his attempts to leave his wretched hometown, but is trapped by mystery. I would definitely recommend watching this on your own.

This was the director’s first horror movie, and it’s already a classic. Lindsey Anderson Beer brought her unique style to the movie and made a strong prequel. Her work lacked suspense, timing, and sometimes horror itself at points during the movie. However, the expectations of the prequel should not be as high as the original because they are different titles that only take place in the same world.

The great thing about remakes and spin-offs is that it lets old fans return to something that they love and it lets young fans find their way to the art that was distinct with an older generation prior.

While the old fans look at Pet Sematary fondly, the new generation has no recollection of it. While the new movie fails to build on the original at times, sometimes it’s able to expand on the source material in a fantastic way. This is a perfect way for old fans to be interested in newer work related to their generation, and for new fans to appreciate and grow an interest in the things that an older generation had to offer.